CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 5, 2008

Avon and Edward Strike Again



So, last week I read this book, THE END OF THE BEGINNING, by Avi. I fell in love with it. It is meant for pre-teens and young adults, because it is a tad philosophical, but I found it in the children's section at the Toadstool Bookshop. Anyway, I fell in love with this story. It is about this snail, Avon, who always hears about going on an adventure and would like that for himself. He meets up with an Ant, Edward, and together they do some pretty cute stuff. For instance, one part of the book has Avon and Edward walking along when they hear a cry out in the distance. They come to realize that it is a worm. The worm is in distress because he fell asleep and now cannot remember which end is which. Edward comes up with the idea to tickle both ends of the worm and whichever end sneezes must be the head. It is so funny! I read a few parts out loud to Craig and I was tearing up because I thought it was so cute. I think it is a must read in my book. It is one that I intend to read again and again, especially to my own children.
I just picked up the second book that has Avon and Edward called, THE BEGINNING, THE MUDDLE, AND AN END. THE RIGHT WAY TO WRITE WRITING. I am pretty excited to read it. Avon the snail wants to become a writer and he has asked his friend Edward, the ant, for help.Here is the back of the book, just to give you an idea of the style of writing. It is pretty clever if you ask me!

"Write what you know. So if you know what you haven't done, write about that.
What if you don't know what you've not done?
Then write about what you don't know.
Is there a third rule?
Write about what you don't know as if you DID know about it.
The fourth rule?
Make sure that when you're writing about what you don't know as if you did know, you conceal the fact that you don't know what you're doing.
I suppose there's a fifth rule?
Sure. Always leave your readers guessing.
I don't understand.
It depends on what kind of writer you intend to be.
A writer who attracts readers.
Then for heaven's sake, don't write writing. WRITE READING!"

1 comments:

14 said...

This post is cute, its so "Kris." I also like the new diner list you added. You'll have to take us when we come up!