CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ripley


Driving home today was not easy. I was listening to this sappy song on the radio and it was just so beautiful outside. Sounds nice, I know, but during these alone times my mind often drifts to Ripley. I am not sure why, but it happens all the time. I still miss him very much. He was a dog, again I know, but he was the best dog. When he passed away, I would type up some of my feelings. I thought I would share one of my entries with you. I think I still need to talk about him and share with others how much I loved him. I don't know, I'm strange. It isn't written very well and I apologize for that. I was writing quickly. Anyway...miss you Rip.

Two weeks ago I lost something that meant more to me than I knew at the time. I lost my yellow Labrador Ripley, without notice, and for an unforgivable reason. It happened the night that my vb girls made it to the Western Mass Semi Finals for volleyball. Although people I loved ran as much interference as they could, I went home, ran in the house and said hello to Piper (the other yellow lab). Something felt wrong, no Ripley ran to greet me with his tired little face and super waggy tail. I went into the living room to find my mom on the couch staring at the T.V. and not making eye contact with me, "Where is Ripley?" I said. And that is when I learned his fate. Ok, so some of you who might not know me well are saying, "Yeah, that is sad, but why all of this Krit?" He was the most gentle and kind spirit that I have ever met. He had more heart and soul than any person I have come across to date. When we brought him home (Summer before my sophomore year of college) I only had a few weeks to spend time with him. I spent every minute with that little guy. We bonded and he was my baby. Going to college my parents constantly brought him to Keene to visit and he came to every volleyball match I had, home and away. The team knew him and my friends knew him well. He was the team mascot. Never did her bite or claw, never did he jump up or bark maliciously. He loved everyone that cared for him and those around him. He looked out for the family and showed us so much love. He would listen when you spoke to him, tilting his head from side to side and whining with you. He loved Christmas and would enjoy opening his gifts; he had more than the rest of us. He wasn't interested in the toy inside, just ripping the paper. I guess "Rip" was a fitting title. Ripley loved toys that would sing or vibrate. Sometimes he would look at an old stuffed animal on a shelf and paw and whine until he could put it in his mouth. When I would stay at my parents he would come up the stairs (Something Buster would never do and Piper is terrified to do) to lick my face and take naps with me. He loved to go for walks with Buster and Piper and was very sad when we lost Buster a year ago to a seizure. He loved to swim and would chase sticks in the water. In the summer he loved to hang out in the hot sun and in the winter he would let the snow blower pelt him with snow. He was such a happy dog. He loved food and was a bit large. : ) I taught him to play hide and seek and that was by far his favorite game. He also loved to chase around the kitchen table, jump and catch, and play goalie in the hallway with his favorite balls. I miss him so much already! I have no closure with this wonderful dog of mine. I want him back and I get sick thinking about his absence. This is my attempt to share my love for Ripley with you, my friends, in hopes that I can put this aside. Never will I forget Ripley. He was such a huge part of my life and my heart. So.... thank you for reading this. I am sure you think I am nuts and need to get over it. I will...in time.

Rest in Peace Ripley - I love you!

1 comments:

14 said...

Kris, you don't sound silly. Ripley was more than a dog - he was a really good friend. He had a warm soul that could ease the pain of a bad day, or heighten even the best day. He was also a huge Kristin fan - you could see it in his face when you entered a room. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about such a great dog.